Three Lake Cycling: Geneva, Bourget, & Annecy
Tour length: 5 nights/6 days
This unique bike trip from Geneva to Annecy makes it possible for leisurely riders to experience a cycling adventure in the Alps without a single col.
Linking the three major lakes of the area (Lake Geneva, Lake Bourget, and Lake Annecy), the cycling routes essentially follow the valleys of the Rhône and Isère rivers, taking in historic villages, stunning natural scenery, lush meadows and valleys, and picturesque peaks along the way.
There’s more to this trip than cycling… Pack your swimsuit in case you can’t resist the call of the lake… and have your palate ready for the little-known vins de Savoie and the local gastronomic specialties.
If you find this trip to be on the light side, you may want to consider our “Famous climbs” instead… or feel free to mix the two!
If you find the mileage too intimidating, rest assured that e-bikes can be arranged… making this trip an ideal setup for families and groups of friends.
Arrive in Geneva at your leisure and check in to your hotel. If you’ve opted for the hotel “Option A+”, your hotel is located in the center of Geneva so you can easily take the time to walk around the old town and along the lake. If you’ve chosen “Option A”, your hotel is located just outside Geneva, a few pedal strokes away from the center of Geneva (a 15 – 20 minute ride). Wherever you will be staying, you’ll find a wide variety of restaurants within a short walk from your hotel, or a few pedal strokes away.
Before you set off on your bike trip from Geneva to Annecy, you’ll meet one of us right after breakfast. We’ll go over the itinerary with you and—if you choose not bring your own bikes—we’ll outfit you with your rental bikes. Your itinerary will take you through vineyards and wine-making villages before crossing the Swiss/French border. Your destination is the town of Seyssel which straddles the Rhône river.
Following the ViaRhôna, you’ll ride through the vineyards of Chautagne before reaching the quaint village of Chanaz. A few pedal strokes further and you’ll reach the lac the Bourget where you can board a boat across the lake. If you’d rather reach Aix-les-Bains by bike, the ride is no less spectacular.
Following a traffic-free bikeway, you’ll soon reach Chambery, the capital of Savoy. To avoid a traffic heavy section, our itinerary will take you through the vineyards of the “Combe de Savoie” using a gravel road. The ride through the vineyards offers great views over the nearby mountain ranges: Chartreuse, Belledone, and Bauges…Depending on the hotel option you’ve chosen, you’ll be staying in Saint-Pierre d’Albigny or Tournon. Either way, you’ll see the towering fortress “Chateau de Miolans” on your way.
The Isère river will show you the way to Albertville. Most of the ride from there is done on a traffic-free greenway (an old railroad track turned bikeway) wedged between the Aravis and Bauges mountain ranges. From there you will reach Lake Annecy, Europe’s cleanest lake. Make sure to organize your day to have some free time in Annecy to stroll along the lake and through the old part of town
For groups of 4 or more: This is a highly customizable tour (extra days and rides can be added; support van and other activities can be arranged). Let us know more about your dream cycling trip in the Alps and we’ll tell you what can be done.
3 nights in 2-star hotels, 1 night in a comfortable guesthouse, and 1 night in a 3-star hotel (in Gaillard, just 7 km/4 miles from the center of Geneva)
- 685 euros per person in April and October. Single supplement is 240 euros
- 705 euros per person in May, June, and September. Single supplement is 250 euros
- 725 euros per person in July and August. Single supplement is 260 euros
3 nights in 3-star hotels, 1 night in a guesthouse of charm & 1 night in a 2-star hotel (in Seyssel)
- 975 euros per person in April and October. Single supplement is 465 euros
- 985 euros per person in May, June, and September. Single supplement is 475 euros
- 995 euros per person in July and August. Single supplement is 485 euros
- 5 nights’ accommodation as described above
- Daily breakfast
- 2 dinners (drinks are not included)
- Orientation meeting with one of our staff members
- Luggage transfers
- Marked maps and/or cue sheets and route notes
- Pre-loaded GPS unit (subject to availability) or GPX files
- Assistance if necessary (you will be provided with our mobile number)
- All tax and service charges
- Expenses of a personal nature
- Travel insurance
- Bike boat tickets from Conjux to Aix-les-Bains (21 euros per adult and 14 euros per kids, bike included) – this option is subject to availability, on Sundays only from May to mid-July and in September, Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays from mid-July to end of August. Pre-bookings are recommended.
- Bicycle rentals. Hybrid bikes are available at the rate of 110 euros per bike. Full-carbon racing bikes are available at the rate of 190 euros per bike. Electric bikes are available at the rate of 205 euros per bike. This price includes the drop-off fee for the bike’s return to Geneva.
Get More Info
Want to learn more about this bike trip from Geneva to Annecy? Complete the form below for a detailed description with route, mileage, and profile information, plus a list of hotels