ViaRhôna from Geneva to Lyon in 6 Days
Tour length: 5 nights/6 days
The “ViaRhôna” project is a bicycle path connecting Lake Geneva to France’s Mediterranean beaches. The project is still a work in progress in some areas (south of Lyon for instance), but is completed between Geneva and Lyon.
As the route is mostly traffic-free, it is a great way to experience France’s countryside without the stress of busy roads, an ideal set up for families or novice riders who wish to try bike touring.
On our tour, we stray away from the ViaRhôna to experience the medieval village of Pérouges, which involves a short section with some traffic (fairly light)
The ViaRhôna from Geneva to Lyon is ideal for riders of all fitness levels. As the route can be broken down in different ways, let us know more about your party and we’ll be able to personalize your itinerary to suit you best.
Geneva is easily accessible by car, train, and air. You’ll arrive in a cultural, cosmopolitan city with more than enough attractions to fill a day, so you can check in to your hotel in the heart of the city and then head on out to explore
We’ll meet you at your hotel for a briefing of the next few days’ itinerary. We’ll also provide you with all the necessary navigation tools (marked maps, GPS pre-loaded with the itinerary) and bikes if you’ve chosen not to bring your own. Today’s route winds its way southwest, across the Swiss border into France where you will spend the remainder of your tour. There are plenty of reasons to stop along the way: stunning panoramas, striking rock formations, and intriguing ruins, to name a few. Your hotel in Seyssel sits right on the river, providing the perfect spot to give your biking legs a rest.
The Rhône river will take you to the small village of Chanaz, an ideal coffee stop along the way. If you feel like exploring Lac du Bourget, a few extra miles will allow you to edge along France’s biggest natural lake. Save some energy for the climb up to your hotel in Champagneux. Your day will end with a fabulous dinner.
The Rhône River will show you the way through small villages and quiet countryside…From Saint-Sorlin, you’ll leave the ViaRhona and ride on secondary roads to the hilltop medieval village of Pérouges. You’re bound to experience a memorable time there (and dinner!).
On your final ride you can choose to follow the ViaRhona or you may opt for a longer ride through the countryside. Either way, you’ll reach Lyon in a traffic-free way before your final climb to La Croix Rousse where your hotel is located. The climb is worth it… Besides the view, you’ll get to experience a lively part of Lyon.
After breakfast in Lyon, depart at the time of your choice.
As this is a highly customizable tour (extra days/rides can be arranged; support van can be provided), please let us know more about your dream bike tour along the ViaRhôna and we’ll tell you what can be done.
4 nights in 3-star hotels, 1 night in a 2-star hotel
- 830 euros per person in April and October. Single supplement is 305 euros
- 845 euros per person in May, June, and September. Single supplement is 310 euros
- 865 euros per person in July and August. Single supplement is 315 euros
- 5 nights’ accommodation (4 nights in 3-star hotels; 1 night in a 2-star hotel)
- Daily breakfast
- 3 dinners (drinks are not included)
- Orientation meeting with one of our staff members
- Luggage transfers
- Marked maps and/or cue sheets and route notes
- Pre-loaded GPS unit (subject to availability) or GPX files
- Assistance if necessary (you will be provided with our mobile number)
- All tax and service charges
- Expenses of a personal nature
- Travel insurance
- Bicycle rentals. Hybrid bikes are available at the rate of 110 euros per bike. Full-carbon racing bikes are available at the rate of 190 euros per bike. Electric bikes are available at the rate of 205 euros per bike. This price includes the drop-off fee for the bike’s return to Geneva.
Get More Info
Want to learn more about the ViaRhôna from Geneva to Lyon? Complete the form below for a detailed description with route, mileage, and profile information, plus a list of hotels